An autumn immune boosting ritual
With the change of seasons it’s always a good idea to give the immune system a little boost to help strengthen your body and mind, promoting optimum health.
Make a conscious effort to increase your consumption of the following nutrients, essential for a strong immune system, but please be sensible to keep in mind that consuming an excess of certain minerals can be toxic. If in doubt ALWAYS consult a natural therapist.
Zinc helps to increase white blood cell formation; and may inhibit bacterial and viral growth and replication. Sources of zinc include eggs, pumpkin seeds, red meat, seafood (especially oysters), pecans, Brazil nuts and wholegrains.
Iron is essential for maintaining a healthy immune system. Sources of iron include red meat, dark green leafy vegetables, black strap molasses, wholegrains, nuts and seeds.
Selenium greatly enhances the function of the immune system by allowing it to respond more effectively, enhancing the production and effectiveness of white blood cells, and to protect them from the free radicals that are generated during their fight against infection. Sources of selenium are fish and shellfish, Brazil nuts, organ meats, wholegrains and cereals.
If you are vegetarian or vegan, and the thought of chewing your way through organ meats, fish, shellfish and eggs is the last thing on your mind, then pumpkin seeds, Brazil nuts and green leafy veggies (kale, spinach, parsley) are perfect for the job.
Olive Leaf Extract
Most definitely my favorite herbal supplement for improving the immune system. Laboratory studies show that olive leaf extract interferes with a viral infection becoming established and/or spreading, either by rendering viruses incapable of infecting cells or by preventing them from reproducing.
Garlic and Ginger
Garlic is a potent immune system stimulant and natural antibiotic. Ginger helps to fight inflammation and stimulate circulation.
Following is an immune booster daily ritual:
- Start the day with a smoothie made from: the water and flesh of a young coconut; a handful of kale; a handful of spinach; half an avocado; a sprig of parsley; a sprig of coriander and a sprinkle of cinnamon
- Take Olive Leaf Extract before meals. (5mL, 3 times a day, or as professionally recommended)
- Morning and afternoon snacks: pumpkin seeds and Brazil nuts
- Afternoon and evening warm drink: hot water with fresh ginger and garlic.
- Make healthy choices for all your other meals and ensure that you’re drinking an adequate amount of purified water.
by Samantha Sample
Got any foolproof immune boosting tips? Tell us below!